Everyone and their mother will be blogging about Obama's historic inauguration today. It is truly moving to be part of this bit of history, such a long time in coming. I do believe that Martin Luther King is most assuredly looking on from wherever he is, with such pride and love and a big smile on his face. We did it!
A great day indeed. But this is just the very tip of the iceberg of fixing the giant mess we have made of things. I can say is I am very thankful that Obama is now our president, I am hopeful that if anyone can rally us into a positive direction, it will be him. The energy at the inauguration, even via television, was palpable! So let's take this positive energy wave and ride it. Let's not concentrate on what is wrong, let's concentrate on what is right, what we can do right, what we can turn around in the right direction. We are still a country of incredible resources and talents. A country rich in diversity and now, more than ever, tolerance and love for one another, for our differences and uniqueness as well as our strengths and characters. We can all be empowered to rise up and out of our circumstances, to take the reigns and ride to where we want to be, and to SUPPORT ONE ANOTHER as there is always strength in numbers and power in unity.
But what of the individual? How do I personally take action? I can spend my time looking up to our new President and his efforts, waiting for the change to come, or I can get going myself. What can I do? I can be mindful of my own personal economies, spend wisely and be thrifty. I can extend a hand to others less fortunate, not just in the easy ways like dropping off clothes at Goodwill, but in the harder ways too. I can volunteer my time. I can give of my money as freely as I can to worthy charities. I can make a difference in subtle ways, by looking a homeless person in the eye and treating them with the dignity and respect we all deserve. I can stoop over and pick up the piece of litter I see laying on the side of the road. I can stop and help an older person navigate a difficult door or carry a package.
These are the things I DO try to be mindful of already, but it's oh so easy to get wrapped up in our own affairs and forget... yes forget, and to be selfish and self absorbed and self concious. In my last post I wrote of figuring out what my dream is and living it. Perhaps the way to get to that vision is to look outwards rather than inwards. Let this be the year of the anti-self for me. Let me reach out to others, and in doing so I believe I will enrich myself, truly become myself, and make a difference along the way.
And at the end of the day, let me always remember to count my blessings - for I am blessed - and to tell the people I care about that I love them SO MUCH! As the song says, the ones I love are the wind beneath my wings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment