Friday, January 23, 2009

Love is a Gift, Love is a Tragedy

Love - that most perfect of emotions. So wonderful, so warm, a feeling like no other. We all want to be in love. But what about the other, darker side? Full of sharp edges, love can rip us to shreds on any given day.

Love is a gift the universe bestows on us that is to be cherished. Our lives are enriched by feeling that unique bond between ourselves and another. We should do everything in our power to nurture the feeling, protect it, preserve it, let it flourish, grow and last.

Sometimes we don't choose to do that. Sometimes a human will say to another "I love you but I can't be with you." This is almost worse than saying "I don't love you anymore, I have fallen out of love with you". It is like saying "Yes I have this perfect gift of caring so deeply and wonderfully for someone, but because of my circumstances, or obligations, or even my own insecurities, I choose to let that love go".

That seems a tragedy to me. To let go of love, to purposely turn your back on someone that loves you back serves no purpose except to leave a little chunk of the universe grayer and darker. I understand, sometimes things are just too damn hard to make it work. Sometimes the moment is too tough to get through. But, my belief is, it's always worth the struggle to try.

Because, even if falling in love in the first place seemed easy and natural, falling back out of love is not going to be. It's going to hurt. It will leave an indelible stain on your heart and there are all kinds of raw edges left when a heart is broken. And, speaking from the viewpoint of someone currently not IN love, it doesn't always necessarily come along so easily. Love is a rare, precious thing we are given, not all of us ever find it, ever! I have been in love, and I want so much to experience that again in this lifetime. Of course, I have deep love for my children and love some of my friends, but I want to be deeply and wonderfully in love.

Seeing others choose to discard love for reasons that don't quite make good sense makes me so sad for us all. There is power in love, great, awesome power. A human buoyed up by love can do triple what they could on their own, there is just terrific energy and power behind that emotion. I wish I could whisper in the ear of those making these sorts of choices, let them know that a big slice of humanity has had love and lost love, and would give anything to have it again. I would tell them to treasure their love, and the person that loves them. To do anything within their power to preserve it -- so precious it is.

Take care, humans, love one another, and if you are so fortunate to be in love, treat it with care.

No comments:

Post a Comment